Events playing out on the world stage, e.g., widespread dissatisfaction with the status quo exposed by the presidential primary season, are a wakeup call to see how what is mirrored in the collective lives within us. Where in your life may you have gone along with things for too long and have had enough? Or maybe you’ve been putting off your own needs and desires and are feeling a growing sense of frustration or escalating desire?
It’s crucial to pay special attention to where repressed energies may be playing out in your experience. You don’t want to resist these energies, because they are coming up to your awareness to be cleared. Like volatile chemicals under pressure, energies that are pushed down may emerge in unexpected and unwanted ways or explode.
Some suggestions for working with highly charged energies:
- . Observe: Are you especially irritable, frustrated or quick to anger? Notice what is triggering you.
- . Feel: When a hot or powerful current of emotional energy arises within you. Don’t push it away Be with it. Observe it, if you can, or ride the waves of feeling as they come and go.
- Breathe: Remind yourself to breathe when you feel yourself holding your breath.
- . Stop: Don’t go into story; this fuels the energy.
- . Express: Share what you are feeling. Draw or paint a picture. Use ceremony or ritual for releasing.
- Choose: Acknowledge what you want. Give yourself permission to have, do, or accomplish your desire, and then act on it.
Often with the heavy energies of sadness, fear, and anger or even with powerful sexual feelings, we fear that we’ll be overtaken by them or lose control if we allow ourselves to feel them. It takes self-awareness, acceptance and compassion for oneself to make the choice to be with what is coming up for you. Be gentle with yourself.